Success at the CyBOK in Practice virtual showcase event 2 March
Published: 16 Mar 2021, 4:18 p.m.
The CyBOK in Practice virtual showcase event took place on the afternoon of 2 March and was a resounding success, with over 200 attendees. Delegates came from academia, government and other public sector organisations including the NHS and law enforcement, as well as a from a wide range of educational and training bodies, industry, IT firms, consultancies and financial institutions.
The event was chaired by Professor Steve Schneider, Director of the Surrey Centre for Cyber Security and a member of the CyBOK Executive Board. Delegates enjoyed a variety of presentations, including several CyBOK use cases to highlight how CyBOK can be used in both the professional and academic community. It was not possible to record the event, but where permission has been received to share presentations, these are linked in the agenda below.
The event was hosted on Slido, meaning delegates could post questions for speakers to address. The audience was well-engaged, with around 80 questions and comments arising from speakers’ content; the word cloud below shows the common words from the interactions.
General themes in the questions and comments included certification and training, the UK Cyber Security Council and Careers Framework, incident response, and CyBOK and the future. Following the interest in these areas and the success of this event, further events are being planned for 2021, so watch this space for more details.
Event agenda including presentations where available
- Awais Rashid, Professor of Cyber Security, University of Bristol, PI and Editor-in-Chief of CyBOK
CyBOK use cases
- Using CyBOK in the NCSC Cyber Security Degree Certification Programme – Michael K, National Cyber Security Centre
- A short summary of two use cases: NCSC Certified Training and government cyber security roles – Poppy B, National Cyber Security Centre
- Roddy Hallifax, UK Cyber Security Council Formation Project
- Published PhD theses mapped to CyBOK 1.0 – Virginia Franqueira, University of Kent, UK
- Enhancing security architecture frameworks to accommodate the CyBOK KAs for practitioners – Duncan Greaves, Coventry University, UK
- Case Studies in support of CyBOK 1.0 Selected Topics – Nancy Mead, SEI Fellow, Carnegie Mellon University (ret), USA
- Development of redistributable laboratory materials for GSM and Development of redistributable laboratory materials for wireless remote control – Denis Nicole, University of Southampton, UK
- Providing an online platform for hierarchical knowledge presentation, visualisation and mapping – Eckhard Pfluegel, Kingston University, UK
- Open source CyBOK practical challenges and learning resources – Z. Cliffe Schreuders, Leeds Beckett University, UK
- Teaching CyBOK Cyber Physical Systems Security through interactive simulation – Jon Stadon, University of the West of England, UK
Incident response case study
- Nathan G and Conor H, National Cyber Security Centre
- Awais Rashid, University of Bristol and Howard Chivers, University of York (both members of CyBOK Executive Board; reflecting on the knowledge areas relevant to the case study presented)
- Awais Rashid, Professor of Cyber Security, University of Bristol